Cosmetic dentistry is the art of dentistry which deals beyond filling or taking out of teeth. Many people wish to undergo cosmetic or aesthetic dentistry to improve the appearance of their teeth, enhance smile and for teeth whitening. The procedures of cosmetic dentistry can be used to straighten, whiten, lighten, reshape and repair damaged teeth.
Cosmetic dentistry treatments not only beautify a persons smile but can also restore the function and improve oral health.??It includes following cosmetic procedures:
- Teeth Whitening: It is one of the commonly recommended and desired procedure for those who have stained tooth because of reasons like excessive smoking, food, drink (coffee, tea or red wine) or poor oral hygiene. It is relatively an inexpensive way to brighten and whiten the smile.
- Composite Bonding: It is a procedure that can repair, strengthen and improve the appearance of chipped, broken, discoloured or decayed teeth. This procedure require mild drilling of the tooth before application of an enamel (tooth color) like composite material to the cavity or surface of crooked tooth. The composite is now sculpted into the most appropriate shape and hardened with high-intensity light. Finally this restoration results a well-blended and invisible bond over the damaged tooth to create a healthy, bright smile.
- Porcelain & Composite Dental Veneers: Veneers are hard, thin shells of tooth-coloured material (porcelain or composite)that can be adhesively bonded over the surface of a damaged tooth to mask a variety of dental imperfections like chipped or cracked tooth, severe discoloration, gap between teeth etc.
- Porcelain Crowns: Crown is generally recommended in case of severely damaged teeth that need to be covered or replaced with natural-looking porcelain crowns to improve its appearance and function.
- Porcelain Bridgework: Dental bridge is required to fill the gap created by missing teeth or tooth. This bridge is formed by porcelain material and is attached to the natural teeth on either side of the space to fill the empty space and improve functioning of teeth.
- Dental Implants: An implant or an artificial tooth root replacement is used to replace the root portion of a missing tooth. It is usually made of titanium and is fitted with a crown to create a natural-looking replacement for the entire tooth. The result is not only an enhanced smile, but also a more young appearance, since missing teeth cause the face to collapse and present an old look.
- Inlays & Cheek: These are indirect fillings that are fabricated in laboratory with porcelain or composite material before being fitted and adhesively bonded into the decayed or damaged tooth. This is different from dental fillings which are moulded into place within the mouth during a dental visit. Inlays & onlays match more closely to the color of a tooth and are long-lasting.
- Clear Orthodontic Aligners: It is a better option than metal braces to straighten the misaligned teeth.
- Cosmetic Gum Surgery: It is a minor surgical procedure to reshape the gum tissue for a more pleasing appearance.
- Tooth Contouring & Reshaping: This is done using a drill or laser to smooth out or reshape teeth.
- Smile Makeover: It is a comprehensive makeover of smile that may involve one or more cosmetic dentistry procedures to improve the overall appearance of the person.
- Full mouth reconstruction: This is required to correct the functional problems with patients bite, muscles, teeth and bone structure.
Although all these procedures involve artificial material but the beauty of cosmetic dentistry is that it can give durable, functional and clinically sound treatments that look natural.